Based on your genetics, your genetic predisposition for Maximum Oxygen Uptake is
What does this mean?
Your genotypes are associated with intermediate maximum oxygen uptake (VO2 max) during training.
How Is Your Genetic Risk Calculated?
This result is based on the SNPs(single nucleotide polymorphism)that are associated with Maximum Oxygen Uptake.
Suggested Lifestyle Changes
- Quercetin has demonstrated its ability to increase maximum oxygen uptake in individuals during aerobic exercise after a week of ingestion. Quercetin can be mostly be found in grapes, kale, seeds, flowers, tomatoes, berries, etc.
- Consuming concentrated beetroot juice in a single dose (5 ounces or approx. 147ml) two hours before physical activities are shown to increase one? maximum oxygen uptake.
- Protein supplements or protein-rich foods (eg. eggs, lean meat, fish, beans, legumes, etc) can have positive effect increasing maximum oxygen uptake in prolonged endurance training.
- Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids have been proven to raise the maximum oxygen uptake in overweight women. Examples of omega-3 rich foods are salmon, cod liver oil, mackerel, walnut, flax seeds, chia seeds, etc.
- Regular physical training improves VO2 max by increasing the cardiac stroke volume, blood volume, capillary density and mitochondrial density in the trained muscles.
- Maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
- Studies have shown the largest increases in VO2 max appeared to follow a pattern similar to the Hickson protocol. The Hickson protocol basically consists of training for 6 daysorweek for 10 continuous weeks, with maximal cycling interval and hard training on alternate days.
- Based on the Hickson protocol, you should cycle on day 1, 3, 5 and run on day 2, 4, 6. On cycling days, you should perform 6 x 5 minute intervals at an intensity eliciting VO2 max (near maximal) with 2 minutes of rest between each effort. On non-interval days, continuous training includes running as fast as possible for 30 minorday during first week, 35 minorday during second week and 40 minorday or longer thereafter.
- As weekly fitness improves, continue to increase your power output on intervals, always eliciting a near maximal effort.